A Three-Month Capsule Wardrobe!
Project 333 is a three-month challenge to live on 33 pieces of clothing. It was started by Courtney Carver, who founded bemorewithless.com. This project will be my Monthly Challenge for February, March, and April.
I thought this was a logical step for me on my clothing journey. I’ve already rethought how I shop by doing a clothes shopping ban, but I’ve really been wanting to redo how I dress as well. Lately my closet has been getting pretty jammed – not from shopping but from hosting multiple clothing swaps! Even free clothes can be overwhelming if not trimmed down regularly.
I’m hoping it will help me get dressed faster and waste less time thinking about clothes. I spend more time than I would like organizing and putting together outfits. I’d like for the whole process to be streamlined so I can reach into the closet and effortlessly put together something comfortable that matches…and then go spend my time on something more important. I don’t believe clothes need to be complicated. So why do I let them steal so much of my time?
- When: Every three months (I’ll be doing it February – April if you’d like to join in!)
- What: 33 items including clothing, accessories, jewelry, outerwear and shoes.
- What not: These items are not counted as part of the 33 items – wedding ring or another sentimental piece of jewelry that you never take off, underwear, sleep wear, in-home lounge wear, and workout clothing (you can only wear your workout clothing to workout.) I’d like to add that a diaper bag doesn’t count as an accessory if you’re a mama!
- How: Choose your 33 items, box up the remainder and put it out of sight.
- What else: Consider that you are creating a wardrobe that you can live, work and play in for three months. Remember that this is not a project in suffering. If your clothes don’t fit or are in poor condition, replace them.
My Favorite Tips:
- Don’t choose things to take OUT of your wardrobe…take it all out and choose your favorite things to put back IN.
- It helps to put stuff in storage and not feel like you need to part with all of it for good. If you put almost everything you take out of your closet away in storage for 3 months there is a good chance you will be willing to part with some of it after that.
- Pick a color palette and stick to it.
My 33 Items:
I found that it was pretty easy to pick my first 20 items or so. The last few were harder because they weren’t my all-time favorites, but I was trying to anticipate my needs. Do I want more statement pieces? How much casual vs. dressy? Do I have enough long sleeves or short sleeves for the changing weather? What if we get invited to a wedding? You know, all the questions…
Check out my 33 choices. Hopefully they were good ones and will help make your choices easier too!
A lot of these clothes were given to me at clothing swaps, so if any of these things used to be yours, then thank you! You’re an important part of my journey toward simplicity! Other of these pieces have been in my closet for so many years, they feel like they have already become a part of me. Those were the easiest ones to pick! I’m going to do my best to take care of these items, treating them gently and repairing them promptly when they need it.
I think I’m ready! Can’t wait to start this challenge. Hopefully we’ll all be inspired of new ways to wear old things (and buy nothing along the way!)
If you could only wear 33 items for 3 months what would they be? Maybe you don’t like dresses as much as I do…or maybe the weather is different where you are. Join me if you’d like! The challenge is free and can be adapted if necessary. Go here to officially sign up and get updates from the Project 333 team. I’m interested to see how other people do. I’m sure we’ll all have our own strategy. Enjoy!